Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bookworm  -  the game of reading and remembering
an illustrated game
for 3 or more players or teams
designed and produced by Oxford Games LTD

Last Saturday morning, I went to a nearby Goodwill thrift store to see if I could find any treasures.  Sure enough, I did.

As soon as I got home from Goodwill, I enlisted my 18-year-old daughter to help me figure out the rules and play through a quick game.  Since there were only two of us, we modified the rules a bit.

Bookworm is a board game that you play by listening to one of your opponents read an excerpt of a children's book.  You then can move your token spaces by answering questions concerning that excerpt. Examples of these books are:  The Swiss Family Robinson, King Solomon's Mines, Heidi, The Naughtiest Girl in the School, Rip Van Winkle,  The Scarlet Pimpernel, Granny's Wonderful Chair, The Ship That Flew, Daddy-Long-Legs, The Cuckoo Clock, The Hound of the Baskervilles and Black Beauty.

One of the best things about the game is the booklet that comes with it.  Of course it includes the rules, but that's only two pages.  The rest of the booklet is a list of the books selected to be part of the game.  Each book has its publication date, the author's name,  his or her birth and death years, and then  a synopsis of the book. There were many books I recognized and had read, but there many I had never heard of.  I look forward to finding some of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment